Travel Documents


For a complete account of documentation required for travel visit the site of the US State Department.

US & US Territory Travel Document Requirements

Passengers 18 years of age or older are required to have a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature for travel to/from a U.S. Territory (United States Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico). These IDs include:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Border Crossing Card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) that meets REAL ID benchmarks (All states are currently in compliance)
  • A Native American Tribal Photo ID
  • An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • A Registered Traveler Card (that contains the following: Name; Date of Birth; Gender; Expiration date; and a Tamper-resistant feature)
  • A foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Real ID/Domestic Travel

The REAL ID Act establishes minimum security standards for driver’s license issuance and production. Federal agencies will soon be prohibited from accepting driver’s licenses and ID cards issued by states who have not met the minimum standards of the Real ID Act. The purposes covered by the Act are: accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft.

Residents of some US states will soon be required to show additional ID, such as passports, if they wish to embark on air travel. This includes both international and domestic journeys.

DHS is currently reviewing extension requests from states with extensions that expired on October 10, 2017. DHS will update its web page as these reviews are completed and new extensions are granted. In the meantime there will be no change in enforcement status for these states.

States will have a grace period until January 22, 2018, meaning that Federal agencies (including TSA) will continue to accept driver’s license and identification cards issued by these states in accordance with each agency’s policies.

British Virgin Islands

When traveling to the British Virgin Islands, including Tortola, all U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to re-enter the United States. In addition to the above documentary requirements, U.S. citizens should also present onward or return tickets, and proof that they have sufficient funds for their stay in the BVI. Upon initial entry, a stay of no more than 30 days will be granted. At the end of 30 days, visitors must report to the Immigration Department's main office in Road Town, Tortola to request an extension.


Travel Destinations

Cape Cod & the Islands

Cape Cod was where it all started for Cape Air, and we still have our roots planted in Hyannis with our corporate headquarters. We're proud to serve the beautiful Cape & Islands year-round.


Our wings cover the best of the Northeast, with daily, year-round flights from our hub in Boston to VT, NH, ME and NY.


Our hub at St. Louis serves Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky.


If time is money, save both. Our fast flights across Eastern Montana from our hub in Billings will get you to your destination in a fraction of the time it takes to drive. Later Lonesome Road!


With up to 100 flights a day in Puerto Rico, the USVI, West Indies, and the BVI, you have the flexibility to fly when you want to, and easily connect with major carriers.


Our "first flight of the day" is always from our hub in Guam. Operating as United Express, we serve the islands of Guam, Rota and Saipan. To book Micronesia flights, visit

Fly with us to:






Our Partners